Scrub up on Science Competition
Bath Bomb Project
This project was inspired by the Scrub up on Science Challenge from the Society of Cosmetic Scientists, which offers some awesome prizes and the opportunity to find out more about scientific careers. All you need to do is submit a powerpoint or video summarising your project by the 27th April 2018 on their website. Selected finalists will be invited to The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester on 20th June 2018 to recreate their product for the judges in a bid to be crowned the winner.
Top Tips from the Judges
We interviewed Dr Barbara Brockway, one of the competition judges and scientist with a wealth of industry experience, for her 5 top tips to impress the judging panel and be in with a chance to win:
- Understand the chemistry behind your product. We want you to show us your chemical knowledge, and the scientific explanation for how your bath bomb or bubble bath works.
- Make a hypothesis. The competition is all about scientific experiment – so make sure you create a hypothesis, then prove or disprove it.
- Inspire and engage with your video or Powerpoint. We want you to persuade us as to what makes your product stand out. Put work into your video or Powerpoint submission – presentation is key!
- Tailor your product to the customer. Decide on the intended audience for your product, and then explain how your product will appeal to them.
- Show your enthusiasm. Our competition is all about developing an interest in STEM and the Science behind cosmetics – so let your passion for science shine through!