We caught up with the Scrub up on Science Challenge judges to find out their top tips to help you create a winning entry for this fantastic competition.
About the challenge
The Scrub up on Science Challenge is a STEM competition for 11 to 16 year olds developed by the Society of Cosmetic Scientists. Students can learn about real-world cosmetic science, and mix creativity and a knowledge of chemistry to create a quality bath bomb or bubble bath – aiming for the biggest bubbles, the longest-lasting fizz or the most striking scent.
Top tips from the judges
Dr Barbara Brockway, one of the competition judges and scientist with a wealth of industry experience, shared with us her 5 top tips to impress the judging panel and be in with a chance to win:
- Understand the chemistry behind your product. We want you to show us your chemical knowledge, and the scientific explanation for how your bath bomb or bubble bath works.
- Make a hypothesis. The competition is all about scientific experiment – so make sure you create a hypothesis, then prove or disprove it.
- Inspire and engage with your video or Powerpoint. We want you to persuade us as to what makes your product stand out. Put work into your video or Powerpoint submission – presentation is key!
- Tailor your product to the customer. Decide on the intended audience for your product, and then explain how your product will appeal to them.
- Show your enthusiasm. Our competition is all about developing an interest in STEM and the Science behind cosmetics – so let your passion for Science shine through!
How do I enter?
Selected finalists will be invited to present their product for the judges in a bid to be crowned the winner!